Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Downtime is good, it can clear the mind....

For the past few days or so, the weather has been mediocre to downright awful - rainy, full of lightening, and thunderously loud at times.  Even though I have left the house, I often found myself wanting to simply stay in my pjs and stay in bed watching chick flicks.  Happy to say, I didn't give in to my temptation, but I have taken three more 'rest' days then planned.

Today was my first day back in the gym.  Wednesday's are strength day, where we practice our lifts and then do a short 5 - 10 minute metcon wod, so I kinda knew what to expect.  After our Press, Push Press lifts, the wod consisted doing as many reps of the dreaded double-under jump rope movement.  The rope passes under your feet twice for each jump.  (psst, secret, people - I CANNOT do this movement.)  In two years, I have done one double-under successfully and that was during wod 11.1 in last year's Crossfit Open.  And, I haven't done a single one since then either.  "Aiyaiyai", I'm thinking, "but what the heck I'm gonna try anyway".  Low and behold, after a little focus, I actually got TWO double-unders!!!

Right about now, you're thinking, what the heck is she babbling about.  Haha, okay people, let me tell you.  My revelation is that I just need to keep my focus and get in the 'car' (i.e. do lots of solid work), and drive myself down that road to attaining my goal of running a marathon! 

Lesson(s) learned:  A small occasional detour from the training path can be useful.  In this case, my extended down time helped to clear my head of some fears and renewed my optimism that I can complete the Honolulu Marathon in December, I just need to keep my focus on the prize - reaching the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. Great entry Melissa! I've been taking more rest that usual myself these past 3 days and I'm glad! Congrats on the double unders and how well you are doing in the open.

    ReplyDelete