Saturday, March 3, 2012

Just keep moving.....

Last week was the first week of the Crossfit Open.  The workout a mere seven minutes of as many burpees as you can do, but have you ever done a burpee?  If you have, you know it can be a lung burner.  Burpee: from a standing position, get down on the floor (chest touching), then get up, and jump so that both hands touch a point that is six inches higher then your standing reach.  I did the wod once and got a score of 57.  Not the greatest, but I had no desire to repeat my efforts, especially since I did another wod just three hours prior.

This is week two.  The wod is to do as many snatches (barbell ground to overhead in one quick movement) as possible within a ten minute period with the prescribed ladder: 30 reps each in order, 45#, 75#, 100#, then 120#.  As soon as this wod dropped on Tuesday, I was estatic because I know this is something that I can do!  I enjoy barbell work.  My first validation attempt gained me a score of 55.  With several fellow HAF members encouraging me, I did a second attempt today and increased my score by 5 to 60!  I literally moved 3,600 pounds today.

I don't really have a competitive bone in my body, so this whole experience of 'competing' in this Open is really exhilarating for me.  I love all the encouragement and extra coaching from my HAF coaches and members.  Thank you to everyone at HAF for the unconditional support!

Crossfit Open wod 12.2 - Snatches (75# here and almost pau)
Lesson(s) learned:  Keep moving and relax are the key coaching points taken away from today's competition.  Pace is everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment